HEBREW UNION COLLEGE- JEWISH INSTITUTE OF RELIGION
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA 90007
FAX (213) 749-1192
CURRICULUM VITA Lewis M. Barth
- Professor Emeritus, HUC, 2007
- Professor, Midrash and Related Literature, HUC, 1976 to 2007.
- Visiting Professor, HUC, Jerusalem, Spring, l981.
- Associate Professor, HUC, 1972-1976.
- Visiting Professor, California State University, Northridge,
- Assistant Professor, HUC, l969-1972.
- Instructor, HUC, 1968-1969.
- Graduate Teaching Fellow, HUC, 1967-68.
- Dean, HUC, Los Angeles, 1997-to 2006.
- Dean, HUC, Los Angeles, 1971-1979.
- Acting Dean, HUC, Los Angeles, 1971.
- Assistant Dean, HUC, Los Angeles, 1970.
- Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, Ph.D. l970.
- University of Chicago, M.A., l965.
- HUC-JIR, M.A. and Rabbinic Ordination, Cincinnati, l964.
- HUC-JIR, B.H.L., Los Angeles, l960.
- UCLA, B.A., l959.
Other Academic Institutions:
- Institute of Contemporary Psychoanalysis, Los Angeles, Non-Clinical Candidate 2006-2010, Research Candidate 2010 -
- Oxford Centre of Post Graduate Hebrew Studies, Visiting Fellow,
- Institut Kirche und Judentum, Berlin, Germany, Alexander von
Humboldt Fellow, 1979-1980.
- Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Special Student, l961 and l965.
- Alexander von Humboldt Stipendium, 1979-1980.
- National Defense Education Fellowships, 1966-1968.
- Hebrew Union College Graduate Fellowships, 1964-1966.
Publications: Books and Editor
- Editor, with Ruth Nussbaum, MAX NUSSBAUM: FROM BERLIN TO HOLLYWOOD,
(Joseph Simon/Pangloss Press: Malibu, 1994).
- Editors: Robert J. Ratner, Lewis M. Barth, Marianne Luijken
Gevirtz, Bruce Zuckerman MAARAV, A JOURNAL FOR THE STUDY OF THE
NORTHWEST SEMITIC LANGUAGES AND LITERATURES [LET YOUR COLLEAGUES PRAISE
YOU: STUDIES IN MEMORY OF STANLEY GEVIRTZ], Vol. 7-8, Parts I-II,
(Western Academic Press:Rolling Hills Estates, 1991-1992).
- Editor, BERIT MILA IN THE REFORM CONTEXT, (Berit Mila Board of
Reform Judaism: New York and Los Angeles, 1990); Introduction, pp. 1-8,
Circumcision in the Rabbinic Period, pp. 130-141.
- An Analysis of Vatican 30, Monographs of the Hebrew Union College,
No. 1 (Cincinnati, l973) Publications:
- "The Image of Sarah in Trial IV of a 'Lection for the Second Day
of Rosh Ha-shanah'," in THE BIBLE IN THE LIGHT OF ITS INTERPRETERS:
Sarah Kamin Memorial Volume, edited by Sara Japhet (The Magnes Press,
The Hebrew University: Jerusalem, 1994), pp. 157-169 [Hebrew].
- "Genesis 15 and the Problems of Abraham's Seventh Trial," in,
MAARAV, A JOURNAL FOR THE STUDY OF THE NORTHWEST SEMITIC LANGUAGES AND
LITERATURES [LET YOUR COLLEAGUES PRAISE YOU: STUDIES IN MEMORY OF
STANLEY GEVIRTZ], Vol. 8, Part II, edited by Robert J. Ratner, Lewis M.
Barth, Marianne Luijken Gevirtz, Bruce Zuckerman (Rolling Hills Estates:
Western Academic Press, 1992) pp. 245-263.
- "Textual Transformations: Rabbinic Exegesis of Gen. 22:14," in
Bits of Honey: Essays for Samson H. Levey, edited Stanley F. Chyet and
David H. Ellenson (Scholars Press: Atlanta, 1993), pp. 3-23.
- "Circumcision and the Unity of God: A Comment on Stern," S'VARA: a
Journal of Philosophy, Law and Judaism, Volume 2 Number 2 (1991),
Winter, pp. 49-51.
- "Abraham's Eighth Trial: A Comparison of Two Versions,"
Proceedings of the Tenth World Congress of Jewish Studies, Division C,
Vol. 1 (Jerusalem: 1990), pp. 125-132 [Hebrew].
- "Introducing the Akedah: A Comparison of Two Midrashic
Presentations," in A Tribute to Geza Vermes: Essays on Jewish and
Christian Literature and History, ed. Philip R. Davies and Richard T.
White, (JSOT Press: Sheffield, 1990), [JSOT, Supplement Series 100], pp.
- "Lection for the Second Day of Rosh Hashanah: A Homily containing
the Legend of the Ten Trials of Abraham," HUCA, LVIII (1987), Hebrew
- "Jenseits" and "Jerusalem III," in Theologische Realenzyklopädie,
Band XVI, 4/5, (Walter deGruyter:Berlin, 1987), pp. 565-568, 611-617.
- "Jochanan ben Zakkaj," in Theologische Realenzyklopädie, Band
XVII, 1/2, (Walter deGruyter:Berlin, 1987), pp. 89-91.
- "Reading Rabbinic Biblical Exegesis," in Approaches to Ancient
Judaism, ed. William Scott Green (Scholars Press:Chico, 1983), pp.81-94.
- "'The Three of Retribution and Seven of Consolation' Sermons in
the Pesikta de Rav Kahana," Journal of Jewish Studies, Vol. XXXIII, Nos.
12 (SpringAutumn, l982), pp. 503-516.
- "The Midrashic Enterprise," Jewish Book Annual, Vol. 40 (1982-83),
- "Literary Imagination and the Rabbinic Sermon," Proceedings of the
Seventh World Congress of Jewish Studies: Studies in the Talmud, Halacha
and Midrash (Jerusalem, 1981), pp. 29-36.
- "Rabbinics," in Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion
At One Hundred Years, ed. Samuel E. Karff (Hebrew Union College Press,
1976), pp. 317-382.
- "Head Covering" and "Synagogue, the Great," in The Interpreter's
Dictionary of the Bible: Supplementary Volume (Abingdon:Nashville,
1976), p. 391 and pp. 844-845.
- Review of W. David Nelson (trans.), MEKHILTA DE-RABBI SHIMON BAR YOHAI, Translated into English, with Critical Introduction and Annotation, Philadelphia, Jewish Publication Society 2006, 398 pps, including Indices of Scriptural Passages, Names and Places. Mo'ed 19 (2009), pp. 3-.
- Review of MIDRASH ALEPH BETH, edited by Deborah F. Sawyer, (South
Florida Studies in the History of Judaism, Number 26, Atlanta, Georgia:
Scholars Press, 1993), in Religious Studies Review, 21, no. 2 (April,
1995), p. 158.
- Review of Jacob Neusner with William Scott Green, Writing with
Scripture: the Authority and Uses of the Hebrew Bible in the Torah of
Formative Judaism (Minneapolis: Fortress, 1989), in Hebrew Studies,
XXXII, 1991, pp. 155-156.
- Review of Aaron (Ronald E.) Agus, The Binding of Isaac and Messiah:
Law, Martyrdom and Deliverance in Early Rabbinic Religiosity (Albany:
State University of New York Press, 1988), in CCAR Journal: A Reform
Jewish Quarterly, Summer 1991, pp. 73-75.
- Review of Sifré to Numbers: An American Translation and
Explanation, Vols. I and II, Jacob Neusner, (Atlanta: Scholars Press,
1986), in Jewish Quarterly Review, Vol LXXX (July-October, 1989), No.
1-2, pp. 131-132.
- Review of Sifre: A Tannaitic Commentary on the Book of
Deuteronomy, Reuben Hammer (Yale Judaica Series 24: New Haven, 1986), in
Hebrew Studies, 29 (1988), pp. 138-140.
- Review of Guide to Ritual Circumcision and Redemption of the
First-Born, Eugene J. Cohen (New York: KTAV, 1984), in Religious Studies
Review, 12, no. 2 (April, 1986), p. 174.
- Review of Midrash in Context: Exegesis in Formative Judaism: The
Foundations of Judaism: Method, Teleology, Doctrine. Part One: Method,
Jacob Neusner (Fortress, 1983), in Journal of Biblical Literature, 105,
no. 1 (March, 1986), pp. 160-162.
- Review article: "Recent Studies in Aggadah," Prooftexts, IV, No. 2
(May, 1984), pp. 204-213.
- Review of The Enjoyment of Scripture, by Samuel Sandmel (New York,
1972), Journal of the American Academy of Religion: Supplement (l975),
- Review of Tradition and Contemporary Experience: Essays on Jewish
Life and Thought, ed. Alfred Jospe (Schocken Books, l970), Journal of
the American Academy of Religion, (December, 1971), pp. 576-577.
- "CETH Report," Special Issue of Jewish Studies Journal (Electronic
Journal), Fall, 1994.
- "Why We Do Jewish Rituals," in When Your Jewish Child Asks Why:
Answers for Tough Questions, ed Olitzky, Kerry M., Rosman, Steven M.,
and Kasakove, David P. (KTAV: Hoboken, 1993), pp. 199-200.
- Editor, with Judith Schindler, National Directory of Mohalim/ot
(Los Angeles: Berit Mila Board of Reform Judaism, National Organization
of American Mohalim/ot, 1993).
- Editor, with Andrea Weiss, National Directory of Mohalim/ot (Los
Angeles: Berit Mila Board of Reform Judaism, National Organization of
American Mohalim/ot, 1991).
- "Introducing the Reform Mohel," Reform Judaism, Vol. 13, No. 1
(Fall, 1984), pp. 18 ff.
- "Interpretation in Pirke d'Rabbi Eliezer," Founding Conference of
the Western Jewish Studies Association", San Diego, 1995 .
- "Basic Issues for a Critical Edition of Pirke d'Rabbi Eliezer,"
World Congress of Jewish Studies, Jerusalem, 1993.
- "The Eighth Trial of Abraham: A Comparison of the Legend as Found
in the Pirke d'Rabbi Eliezer and "the Homily for the Second Day of Rosh
HaShanah," World Congress of Jewish Studies, Jerusalem, 1989.
- "Between Sermon and Narrative: An Analysis of New Manuscript
Material on the Ten Trials of Abraham," Association for Jewish Studies,
- "Recent Scholarship on Midrash and Its Implications for Future
Work," Presenter on Panal, Society of Biblical Literature, Literary
Study of Rabbinic Literature Group, Boston, 1987.
- "Two New Versions of the Legend of the Ten Trials of Abraham,"
Ninth World Congress of Jewish Studies in Jerusalem 1985.
- "Oxen, Calves, and the Heavenly Source of Idolatry," Seminar Paper
Society of Biblical Literature Section: the Literary Study of Rabbinic
Texts, Chicago, Ill, 1984.
- "Reading Rabbinic Biblical Exegesis," American Academy of
Religion, New York, 1983.
- "What is a Rabbinic Sermon? Form and Content in Fifth Century
Rabbinic Preaching," Medieval Sermon Studies Conference, Oxford, 1982.
- "The Three of Retribution and Seven of Consolation Sermons:
Historical Context," American Academy of Religion, San Francisco, 1981.
- "Literary Imagination and the Rabbinic Sermon," Seventh World
Congress of Jewish Studies, Jerusalem, 1977.
- "Rationalizing Calamity and the Restoration of Hope: A Midrashic
Homily," Religious Studies Department, UCSB, Santa Barbara, Jewish
Chataqua Society Lecture, 1977.
- "Recent Developments in the Study of the Vatican 30 Manuscript of
Bereshit Rabba," International Congress of Learned Societies in the
Field of Religion, Los Angeles, 1972.
- "The Origin and Dating of the Book of Jubilees," Western Regional
Conference of the American Academy of Religion, Los Angeles, 1970.
- "Forgiveness in Psychoanalysis and Judaism".
- "The Emergence of Rabbinic Judaism: Continuity or Break with the
- "The Rabbinic Search for Values: the Midrash".
- "Rabbinic Stories and Ancient Wonderworkers".
- "Education for Jewish Leadership".
- "The Family in Rabbinic Literature".
- "Midrash: the Key to Jewish Biblical Consciousness".
- "Berit Mila in the Reform Context: the Beautiful and the Bizarre".
- Honorary Co-Chair, Berit Mila Board of Reform Judaism, 1997 -.
- Co-Chair, Berit Mila Board of Reform Judaism, 1984 - 1997.
- Executive Director, National Organization of American Mohalim/ot,
1992 - 1997.
- Participant, CETH (Center for Electronic Texts in the Humanities)
Summer Seminar, 1994.
- Faculty, UAHC-CCAR Commission on Religious Living: Kallot, Santa
Cruz, 1992, 1994.
- Faculty, Summer Semester, Institut Kirche und Judentum, Berlin,
1985, 1987, 1989, 1993, (1995).
- Member, Editorial Board, Hebrew Studies.
- Member, Editorial Board, Jewish Studies Journal (electronic
- Member, Editorial Board, Medieval Encounters.
- American Jewish Committee.
- American Academy of Religion.
- American Association of University Professors.
- Association for Jewish Studies.
- Central Conference of American Rabbis.
- Pacific Association of Reform Rabbis.
- Past Member, Institute Faculty, Los Angeles Jewish Feminist Center
of the American Jewish Congress, formerly: the Jewish Feminist Research
Group of the Institute for the Study of Women and Men in Society of the
University of Southern California and the Los Angeles Jewish Feminist
Center of the American Jewish Congress.
- Member, Rabbinic Advisory Council, American Jewish Congress.
- Member, Southern California Board of Rabbis.
- Past Member, Joint Taskforce (CCAR/UAHC) on Religious Commitment